In Japan, this knife style is known as a gyuto and is the Japanese equivalent of the chef's knife. It's an all-purpose knife ideal for meat and fish, yet it also performs beautifully on vegetables. Although the blade profile is narrower than the traditional chef's knife, it still offers plenty of knuckle clearance when cutting on a board. If you're looking for a lighter, more nimble multi-purpose kitchen knife, the Shun Premier Asian Cook's Knife is sure to become your go-to knife for a wide range of food preparation tasks.
This Asian Cook's Knife is part of the beautiful Shun Premier line, which calls to mind the hand-forged knives of ancient Japan. While each knife still takes at least 100 handcrafted steps to complete, the materials Shun uses are among the most advanced in the industry. Each blade has a cutting core of Shun's proprietary VG-MAX “super steel” to take and hold a precision edge. The layered Damascus cladding supports the core and provides additional stain resistance. Near the edge of the blade, where the steels meet, an undulating line is formed—similar to the hamon formed when samurai swords are tempered using a traditional clay-baking technique. The hammered tsuchime finish acts like a series of hollow-ground cavities to reduce drag. The handles nestle comfortably in the hand, while the embossed end cap adds balance and beauty.
Shun Premier 7" Asian Cook's Knife
- Blade Length 7 in. (178mm)
- Blade Steel VG–MAX
- Blade Steel Layers 69 layer Damascus
- Blade Edge Non-Serrated
- Handle Material Walnut color PakkaWood®
- A multipurpose knife similar in function to a chef's knife
- VG-MAX cutting core; the latest in the VG line of “super steels”; wear resistant, corrosion resistant, holds a fine, sharp edge; 16° each side
- 68 micro layers of Damascus cladding look beautiful, support and protect the core
- Hammered TSUCHIME finish helps release food easily when cutting
- Walnut finish, contoured Pakkawood® handle; offers comfort and control; resists moisture
- Handcrafted in Japan